Migrating to Unreal Engine 5: Hair and Character Creator

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:31 am by nemirc

Migrating to Unreal Engine 5: Hair and Character Creator
Migrating to Unreal Engine 5: Hair and Character Creator

Hello again and welcome my UE5 series. As part the “UE4 to UE5 project convertion,” I needed to check a couple more things. First, I imported a Character Creator 3 character inside UE5, and then I also imported my hair.

Reallusion updated the Auto-Setup plugin a little while ago, so I downloaded this new version and I activated it in the editor.

Importing the character is exactly the same as before. You select the type of material you want to use, and then you import the character. I noticed there was an issue with the eyelashes, and I thought it was the shaders included in this version of the plugin, so I removed them and added the ones from version 1.22, the one I am using on UE4. However, the issue remained.

Actually, the problem was the configuration. A few days ago, while I was testing Lumen, I spent some time testing some parameters but then I am sure something caused those weird shadows to show up. Unfortunately, I tried so many shadow parameters I didn’t remember which ones I had tweaked and what was the original value, so it was easier for me to just remove this copy of the project and make a new copy. This time, I decided to simply let Unreal make the copy of the project by trying to open the JLMG project in UE5 and then I activated Lumen.

The next thing I did was bring the hair asset from my original project to this project. Unfortunately, something strange happened, as you can see in the picture. Basically, she looked like Lord Helmet from Spaceballs.

However, fixing it was pretty easy. It turns out the hair strands collision radius was very high, so I just needed to decrease it. The hair worked fine in the original project, so I am guessing it somehow reverted the parameters to their original values when I copied the asset.

After doing this, I tried again and this time it worked just fine. On a side note, if you look at her legs, they are bent, like she was “somewhat crouching”. It turns out that was caused by MoveIt! It turns out the Animation Blueprint for UE5 is slightly different than UE4’s. All I had to do is modify the blueprint and then the legs worked just fine.

And that’s it for today. I will show more progress about this soon.

Sections: Tips + Tutorials




This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience possible More Info
Got it!