Microsoft announces that on October 5, their movie and game-making tool, Project Spark, will be free
Microsoft's Project Spark was launched in 2014 for the Xbox 1 and for the PC. It is a game-based tool that allows users to create their own video games and videos. For the last year, Project Spark
On October 5, Project Spark will transition from its microtransaction model to a free and open creation engine. This will automatically unlock previously paid downloadable content for new and existing Project Spark users. Microsoft will pivot from producing DLC and active feature development to encouraging more user generated content and opening the Project Spark experience.
Project Spark has been very successful for Microsoft and with the announcement of the platform becoming free new users should be flocking to Project Spark.
Additionally, Microsoft has announced that:
A number of new content and features will be added to Project Spark available on October 5 for creators, including:
- The maximum terrain limit in creations has been doubled
- The maximum prop limit in creations has been increased by 500
- 200+ new assets have been added in game, including a dragon, goblin warlord, bog biome and a set of new primitive building blocks
- Each creator will now have a total of 100 Upload Slots for their creations
- UGC ranking will be based on downloads and favorites, instead of upvote/downvote ratings
- The Project Spark Marketplace has been removed
- The Project Spark Tour and Treasure Trove have been removed
- Achievements have been revamped for players and creators