June 1, 2017 - Paris, France: Together with their sponsors, e-on software, leading developer of solutions for the creation, animation, rendering, and integration of natural 3D environments today announced the ninth edition of the 3D CG Environment Competition, for participants to showcase their expertise in using 3D technology to create computer generated (CG) natural environments.
Watch the 3D Environment Competition Trailer on Youtube
Submissions for the competition are now open and continue through September 30, 2017. The winners of the competition will be announced on October 31, 2017.
Together with sponsors NVIDIA, WACOM, HP, Pixologic, 3D Artist, Routledge, Cornucopia3D, GeekAtPlay, AsileFX and QuadSpinner, e-on software will be awarding competition winners more than $30,000 in 3D tools and resources.
Entrants may use the application of their choice, in combination with any of the e-on software products. This includes any version of VUE (Esprit, Studio, Complete, Infinite or xStream), including the free Personal Learning Edition and the free VUE Pioneer, as well as PlantFactory, Carbon Scatter, Ozone, and LumenRT (and their respective free versions).
Judging is based solely on the quality, realism, and artistic merit of the entries, not on the software version used to create them.
With 14 judges representing the different fields of the 3D CG industry, this competition is also a unique chance for artists to have their work seen and judged by industry experts, representing the motion picture, gaming, media, and broadcast industries, including several Visual Effects Society (VES) and Emmy award winners, and industry publication and educational professionals. Judges are:
- Paul Huston - Senior Digital Matte Artist, Industrial Light & Magic
- Scott Brisbane - Lead Matte Painter, Weta Digital
- Eran Dinur - VFX Supervisor, Brainstorm Digital
- Olivier Pron - Supervising Art Director, Head of Art Department, Method Studios
- Jean-Denis Coindre - Lead Digital Matte-Painting, Universal Pictures - Illumination Mac Guff
- Justin Gladis - Matte Painting Lead, Blue Sky Studios
- Ethan Ayer - Matte Painter, Respawn Entertainment
- Alex Alvarez - Founder/President, Gnomon School of Visual Effects, Games + Animation
- Sofronis Efstathiou - BFX Competition & Festival Director, Bournemouth University
- Franck Petitta - Founder and CEO, Ecole Georges MÃ©liÃ¨s
- Jim Thacker - Editor, CG Channel
- Daniel Wade - Product Marketing Manager, ArtStation.com
- Manny Fragelus - Founder and Program Director of CGMA and CGworkshops, CG Society
- Carrie Mok - Editor, 3D Artist
The prestigious list of sponsors for the competition include:
Technology Sponsors: Nvidia, Wacom, HP, Pixologic
Media Sponsors: ArtStation.com, 3D Artist, CG Society, CG Channel
Educational Sponsors - 3D Animation & VFX schools:
- Gnomon School
- Bournemouth University
- Ecole George MÃ©liÃ¨s
Certified e-on software trainers: Geekatplay, Asilefx, Quadspinner
In association with Bentley Systems, Inc.
Prize winners will receive the following:
- Main Category Winner: $17,000 in prizes
- Main Category First Runner Up: $8,000 in prizes
- Main Category Second Runner Up: $4,000 in prizes
- e-on Academic Category Winner (1 student or a group of up to 5 students maximum): $4,000 in prizes
The full prize list can be accessed here.
Learn more about our Prizes and Sponsors: here
About e-on software
E-on software is the leading developer of solutions for the creation, animation, rendering and integration of natural 3D environments (VUE, PlantFactory, CloudFactory Ozone and Carbon Scatter). E-on software products are used worldwide by the film, television, architecture, game, science, educational and entertainment industries.
E-on software products were used in feature films such as "Dr Strange," "Kubo and the 2 Strings," "Jupiter Ascending," "Minions," "Guardians of the Galaxy," "The Croods," "Dragons 1&2," "Hunger Games," "Hugo," "Tintin," "Super 8," "Thor," "Avatar," "Clash of the Titans," "Sucker Punch," "Despicable Me 1&2," "The Wolf Man," "2012," "Lovely Bones," "GI Joe - The Rise of the Cobra," "Land of the Lost," "Terminator 4, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Indiana Jones 4," "Monster Vs Aliens," "Australia," "The Spiderwick Chronicles," "KungFu Panda," "Pirates of the Caribbean 2" and TV series such as "Spartacus," "Smallville," "Battlestar Gallactica," "Caprica," "Stargate Atlantis," "Stargate Continuum," "The Vampire Diaries" and more. Read more on these stories in e-on software's Spotlights section: www.e-onsoftware.com/spotlight.
E-on software was founded on the premise that powerful graphics tools should never get in the way of the designer's creativity. By investing significant resources in research and development, e-on software is able to deliver cutting-edge, user-friendly technologies that produce stunning Digital Nature scenery.
In 2015, e-on software was acquired by Bentley Systems and now operates as an internal venture subsidiary.
E-on software is based in Paris, France. For more information visit http://www.e-onsoftware.com.